We want you to join our Juniors crew!We have an incredible crew of rowers from all across Wichita. The Wichita Rowing Association Juniors program provides young women and men the opportunity to train and race while building teamwork, dedication, and respect in a supportive and competitive environment.
- Teach proper rowing technique and race against other junior crews
- Work as a team to promote dedication, sportsmanship and commitment into every practice and race
- Participate in regional and national level regattas to establish WRA Juniors as a competitive program
- Challenge athletes in physical training to achieve maximum development and performance
- Provide programming to put athletes in good standing for rowing scholarships at colleges and universities
...The lessons I have learned through rowing have completely shaped my personality and character. I have been able to compete at a collegiate level against some of the most renown colleges across the country and also the national level against some of the sports greatest Olympians. Rowing is an art, a sport, and a passion. It is hard work, day in and day out, but the feeling of fulfillment from this sport is unmatched. You don't need to be great to start, but you need to start to be great. If you are looking for a place to fit in, an outlet for travel, or a chance to find success through hard work, rowing is a sport that will teach you more then you ever thought imaginable. ~ Liz Matthews, OCU Women's Rowing
Who can join… The WRA Juniors rowing program includes middle and high school men and women who are 13 through High School (18 or 19). You do not have to be an athlete to join, we welcome rowers from all levels of ability and backgrounds. This includes middle school, freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors from Wichita and area schools currently including Andale, Andover, Goddard, Derby, Valley Center and Maize. The Juniors practice and compete year-round – traveling to local and regional regattas. Junior rowers can race in all boat classes, from working on skills such as teamwork, discipline, commitment, cooperation, nurturing and belonging, and success.
Where rowing can take you…A natural progression for high school graduates from the WRA Juniors program is to compete on the collegiate level in rowing programs at Wichita State University, Kansas University, Kansas State University, Oklahoma City University, with many receiving rowing scholarships.
- 2012 Maize graduates Sienna J. rows for Wichita State University
- 2013 graduate Brittany N. rows for Wichita State University
- 2009 Trinity HS graduate Sydney B., Sydney F. and Grant S. have all rowed for the WSU Shockers.
- Wichita North High’s Hanna S. & Bailey S. received a rowing scholarships as freshman KU in the NCAA Women’s Rowing program.
- Rebeca G and Nicole S- NCAA KSU rowing program,
- Margarette went on to row with the Case Western rowing club
- Ryan Schmidt rowed for four years through the U of M rowing program
Trinity High’s Liz M. recieved an NAIA scholarship with Oklahoma City University-Has rowed in several national regattas winning first place.
Ready all, JOIN! We would like to invite you to come and watch a practice at any time to see what Juniors crew is all about. Juniors membership dues are $47.50 per quarter for kids 13-18 years in school per quarter session (4 quarters per year-spring, summer, fall, and winter sessions). This includes an experienced rowing coach for on-site coached workouts with boats and oars, ergometers, and weight training as part of the rowing program. No equipment needed besides shorts, shirts and a great pair of socks. Click on these three forms, fill them out and bring to your swim test to practice. here for a map to the rowing area.
Feel free to contact our coaches for questions and, if interested, if you would like to offer car pool assistance!